Saturday, May 13, 2006

Free to Choose

The thing about choices is that they give a person control. There is so little in the world that we can control and yet the most important thing of all is within that little part.

The bottom line of every situation we encounter is identifying what we are certain about in that situation and then making to decisions to facilitate growth in our lives.

Situation: Conflict in relationships

What do I know for certain: I want to be healthy -spirit, soul and body- and I want my home to be a peaceful place. I cannot control how the other person acts, reacts, responds, etc. I can control ME.

Decision: How can I control my actions, reactions and responses to facilitate peace in MY life and promote health?

A friend told me recently that "indifference is a deafening silence." I think they have a point. Most of the time, people push buttons looking for a response. They speaks words that they know will recieve a particular reaction. They do things that will bring a particular "dance" into play. The receiver may hate the dance but until they change THEIR steps, the dance continues. Indifference brings the dance to a grinding halt. Choosing not to continue the dance means the dance can no longer be danced.

I am changing my dance steps. I am choosing to dance to a different tune... A tune that is not "hooked" by comments intended to create an automatic response. I am choosing not to respond at all to the one trying to provoke the response. I choose to live a life that is not guilt-motivated or performance oriented to the best of my ability. And in that, I am controlling not only the atmosphere of my home but promoting health within my heart.

Letting go is such a huge relief. Knowing that I am only responsible to control what is actually within my control takes so much pressure and stress out of my life. Knowing that I have to be "true" to no one or nothing but what is true in MY heart is FREEDOM.

No comments:

Green Pastures...

Green Pastures...